Viamede Resort is a Boldly Different resort located on Stoney Lake, in the Kawarthas. We’re just north of Peterborough and less than two hours from Toronto, so you can get here quickly and easily (we take no responsibility for 401-induced headaches, but we have a few great ways to cure one, when you arrive).
What does Boldly Different mean?
It’s less a list of things, and more a feeling of uncomplicated hospitality. It’s the feeling of going to a good friend’s cottage, and knowing you are welcome. And, like your friend, Viamede isn’t perfect. We think we’re awesome, which is why you’re coming over, but we’re nowhere near perfect.
We’re in cottage country, surrounded by nature. We embrace this – we love our wildflower meadows, and the fact that sometimes, a stray chipmunk gets into a cottage. Yes, we have poison ivy, but we also have lots of frogs, turtles, and hummingbirds. Sit quietly by the water, and you’ll see mink playing among the rocks, great blue herons, and loons.
We’re not big on rules, extra charges, or telling you what to do. We just want you to enjoy your time here, whatever that means to you. We also don’t think that this is special – making rules is a lot of work, and we don’t quite know why so many resorts do it.
We love stories – whether that’s helping you build the story of a new family tradition, or looking back on the story of our 100-something year old resort. Each crooked floor, wonky electrical circuit, and reversed faucet tells us about a different time at the resort. Most importantly, the structural and electrical engineers tell us the story that it’s all safe, just interesting.
Who are our guests?
Our guests are great! They’re fun people looking for a lovely lakeside vacation, anywhere from a night to 2 weeks every summer. They come for the warm hospitality, the fantastic view, and the easygoing perspective. They understand that we’re not perfect, and are happy to trade corporate scripts and policies for staff that genuinely care, acres of mowed lawns for wildflowers and cookie-cutter guestrooms for hours spent having fun, outside their room.
There are a few questions we get quite often:
- How big is Viamede? We have 24 rooms and 18 cottages. We have 3 restaurants, and 150 acres of land. You can walk from one end of the resort to the other in about 5 minutes, but if you want a longer stroll, venture onto our 9 km of hiking trails.
- I want to borrow a canoe/kayak/movie/scrabble game. How does that work? You go to the beach/tennis court/game shelf and help yourself. There’s no signing out, waivers, wrist bands, or cost.
- Do you host corporate events? Yep! Click here for details, or here to e-mail our events team
- What time is check in/check out? 3 pm check in, and 11 am check in. We can never promise early check ins or late check outs, but you’re welcome to stay the day on arrival and departure.
- Do you rent motor boats? No, and we don’t usually suggest people do it on Stoney Lake. It’s called Stoney Lake for a reason. However, we’re happy to take you on a cruise of the lake any time we can.
- I’m staying in a cottage. Do I need to bring sheets and towels? All of our rooms and cottages have full housekeeping, so we provide bedding and bathroom towels. Both our indoor and outdoor pool are stocked with towels, so the only towels you may want to bring are beach towels!
- How much do your recreation activities cost? As the saying goes, the best things in life are free, and that goes for our recreation schedule as well. The only activities that costs extra are Little Acorns and Kids’ Pizza.
- Can I eat at your restaurants even if I’m not a guest at your resort? Do I need a reservation? Absolutely! Both Mount Julian and The Boathouse are open to travellers, tourists, locals, and guests alike. You only need a reservation at The Boathouse if you are a table of 6 or more, but you always need a reservation for Mount Julian.
- Can you use the facilities (i.e. the gym, yoga studio, pools) if you aren’t a guest at the resort? Unfortunately not. Our facilities are reserved for guest use only.
- No tipping? What? Yep! We believe that our staff should be paid fair wages, whether the resort or restaurant is busy or not. You’ll see our restaurant prices are a bit higher than comparable restaurants, but you don’t have to add 15% to tip.
We really love it here at Viamede Resort. We hope you do too.