For weeks now, my favourite phrase has been “our grandfathers were sent to Juno Beach, we’re being sent to our couch.” I don’t think there’s ever been a crisis where the majority of people have to make the historic sacrifice of sleeping in, smoking legal weed, and teaching their dogs to fetch a beer while collecting an unprecedented amount of borderline unconditional government subsidies.
But that’s not quite true for many. Countless Canadians are putting in heroic efforts and making sacrifices to stave off the apocalypse.
We owe our gratitude to these people. As a symbol of that, we’re proud to announce that we are giving away 100 free 2-night stays when this all blows over. Draws will be mostly random from all entries, with salient details being verified with HR, managers, or other authorities.
This is open to any front-line workers who showed the true Canadian spirit – compassion, hard work, and moosehood. For example:
- Hospital workers going to heroic lengths with limited equipment, including nurses, doctors, receptionists, volunteers, cleaning staff, and whoever else
- Police officers dealing with the public, not knowing who has what.
- Retail workers who have fantastic self restraint and manage to not slap snowbirds breaking quarantine.
- (I’d include retail workers with less restraint, but that would be inciting violence. So, for clarity, slapping quarantine breakers won’t get you into the contest, but it also won’t disqualify you)
- Paramedics, firefighters, and bylaw officers
- Vets, flight attendants, plumbers and anyone else who has saved your bacon
- Specific exemptions apply to Canada geese and actual moose, no matter how compassionate. Sorry, meese.
If you know someone who has gone beyond what can be expected, even in this time, please tell us the story. Email us at email@example.com with their name, contact details, and the story. Self entries are perfectly fine as well.
- We’re doing this because we want to. There are no legal entitlements anyone has out of this, and if we decide to suspend the program for any reason at any point, we can do so.
- 100 winners will each get a 2-night stay with their families in a hotel room. Generally, this is in a hotel room for up to 4 people and includes breakfast and a meal credit, but we reserve the right to offer whatever we want in a discussion with the winner. Transport to and from the resort, alcohol, snacks, and anything else is on you.
- Entries should be submitted by email to firstname.lastname@example.org. There’s no real deadline because we don’t know when this all will end.
- Winners will be selected by a mix of random drawing, individual selection based on the story, and which entries in the pile aren’t eaten by Toby2000.
- Once a winner has been generally selected, we will reach out to them to get employer details to verify claims and discuss options. We reserve the right to disqualify anyone at any point for any reason.