Meet our Naturalists!
There’s so much nature around us, and so many things to learn. Throughout the summer, we have dedicated naturalists on site to keep you (or your kids), entertained with spontaneous salamander searches, advice on where to find the best kayaking, guided hikes, and foraging.
Over the years, we’ve learned – you don’t follow our recreation schedule. You don’t want to hike at 10 am when we say you should. So, any time you’re ready, track down our naturalists in the green hats, and ask the questions you want.
Kearta Parent is currently studying Ecosystem Management at Fleming College. She grew up in the beautiful tropical country of Nicaragua. She loves long walks exploring Nature and sharing her knowledge with anyone willing to listen. She has been chased by three black bears (albeit they were Cubs just looking for a friend), has had spider monkeys eating out of the palm of her hand, has handled a wide variety of lizards and salamanders, and loves any creature big or small. If there is even a whisper of adventure she will be there.
Here are some ways you can take advantage of our Naturalist program:
- Send your kids off on a turtle hunt
- Ask for the best fishing spots
- Get a personal, guided paddle into prime wildlife spotting territory
- Learn about our native trees and shrubs we plant in our gardens and on the grounds
- Bring us your bugs! They’ll tell you all about them!
- Talk about wildlife safety and learn about ATWEY – Animals That Will Eat You – to find out how to protect yourself. Hint: make yourself big and make noise and make sure your friends eat lots of garlic so they’re tastier than you are.
- Learn about foraging – what you can eat and what you really shouldn’t!